Anthem offers Medicare Advantage plans providing Original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage, plus other benefits like dental, vision, hearing and prescription drugs (in some cases). They also set a limit on how much you pay out of pocket for medical expenses that are covered by these benefits.
Anthem Medicare Advantage plan offerings include HMO, PPO and SNP plans, each of which offer a variety of benefits, depending on your financial and health needs.
HMO plans allow you to choose a primary care provider within the Anthem network and offer $0 monthly premiums, as well as fixed, low copays when you visit your healthcare provider. Anthem’s Mediblue HMO plans also typically offer $0 deductibles, meaning Anthem will share the cost of medical expenses as soon as your coverage begins. Vision, dental and hearing benefits are included (with the exception of hearing aids), as well as membership to Silver Sneaker fitness programs and 24/7 telehealth access.
PPO plans enable you to pick a primary care provider of your choice, including providers who are out-of-network. However, they must participate in the Medicare program. Choosing an out-of-network provider may also increase your costs. Anthem Medicare Advantage PPO plans allow you to seek specialist care without referrals and typically offer $0 monthly premiums, low copays and $0 deductibles. Additional benefits include dental, vision and hearing coverage. Prescription drug coverage may also be included in some plans, depending on your location. Fitness memberships and 24/7 telehealth access are offered as well.
SNP plans are options for those living with certain medical conditions or diseases, as well as people with lower incomes. These plans offer Medicare Part B premium coverage ($164.90 a month for most enrollees in 2023), extra support from your care team, transportation services, prescription drug coverage, free meals, fitness memberships and more. Chronic Condition SNPs (C-SNPs) are available specifically for people with chronic conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes or a lung disease, and dual-eligible SNPs (D-SNPs) are available for people who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid.
Anthem offers a number of additional Medicare Advantage benefits through its Essential Extras benefits, which include:
- $500 per year for assistive safety devices, such as handrails, temporary mobility ramps, raised toilet seats and more
- A Flex account with a $500 annual allowance for additional dental, vision and hearing needs
- Health and fitness tracker devices
- A monthly allowance for healthy groceries like vegetables, fresh or frozen meats, canned goods, dairy items and more
- Meal delivery for 180 healthy meals per year for members with qualifying illnesses or conditions
- 60 hours of companion care services per year to prevent social isolation and/or help with tech support, medication management, errands and transportation
- 124 hours of home health aid assistance per year
- Pest control
- 60 one-way trips to medical appointments and/or pharmacy visits